Sunday, May 09, 2010

The evolution of gaming style in JU FET TT room

[Prologue:- My semester has ended, and currently I have nothing to do other than leading a boring and monotonic life, this particular post is a result of that boredom, so excuse me...I can't help x(]

Being a third year student [soon to be a fourth year [fingers crossed]], I've witnessed a whole deal of evolution in the tt gaming style in JU FET TT room. To explain elaborately, when I was a first year student, the star players used to rely upon sheer power. Obviously I am not talking about the quotas. I have no disrespect for them but its true that much of the players of that era lacked the necessary agility and reflex to counter a powerful smash. Mainly because of that, the better ones used to rely upon forehand smash, but due to over usage of that particular shot, people realized that they'll have to become agile in order to face these players. So the age of ultra defensive choppers began. Though I personally don't prefer any of these two styles, but I must admire the style of a few among this lot. Lahirida and Sayada have given perfect examples of how to make this kinda game play into something entertaining. Meanwhile those "powerful" players left the college. So the era of these defensive players began. Gradually people realized that power is not the only thing, and they started trying top spin and other kinds of spins. A properly played top spin requires something more than just agility to counter. These days, the whole tt room is majorly divided into two kinds of players. the choppers and the top spinners. Power has lost its importance cause nobody will provide you with a high tossed loop to give you the chance to show your power. I personally feel that the competition has grown tougher these days, with players playing better than they used to.

Moreover we are seeing a whole deal of new but orthodox shots, like the drive[souravda]], the flip[ritoda], the loops [sumitavada], the jabs [siddhartha] etc and also improved backhand skills. This is a good indication indeed. :)

No comments: