Thursday, May 13, 2010

Some lessons

While returning from college via the bus route, I sometimes halt before a particular street food vendor. This favorite hawker of mine sells unique "aloo" chops. Now, whether the taste of his chops are exquisite or not is a matter of dispute. But today I've learnt a lesson from this old chap. May be I've learnt the lesson much before, but he for once again he pointed it out in front of me.

Today when I asked "Kaka" to give me chops worth rs 6, Kaka told me to wait for a while. But the other people around were not his regular customers, so obviously they were a bit irritated with this delay, someone among them asked, " where's your son Kaka??" why isn't he helping you today?" Kaka replied with a calm voice, " He has his studies. and I think its better to indulge yourself in studies than to waste your time, I can do this job singlehandedly, may be that will cause some delay. But I can withstand that especially when the cost is a few study hours". Kaka taught me that even the poorest and most illiterate person really cares much about studies than we do. Probably its because our parents have never given us any chance to complain about our education. And its a well-proven fact that human beings tend to neglect what they achieve at ease. May be, the counted number of books that the poor chap managed to buy for that lad, isn't enough for his studies. That's why they put so much of stress on studies.

The point is not solely about studies. I've studied quite a few people and observed that they tend to neglect what comes at ease.

This is the incident of one day. Another day, I went to "Kaka's" stall much earlier, say at five in the afternoon or so.Kaka,then was just preparing for daily sells. That day those chops were for my parents, and it was their veggie day. So I asked Kaka, beforehand that whether his chops are purely veg or not. Now one thing I need to clarify in this context that this first sell is extremely important for hawkers. They call it " bouni" and they believe that the sell for the rest of the day hugely depends upon this first sell. And they try their level best to ensure that this first customer does not return empty handed.

So Kaka thought for a moment and then asked me, " what exactly do you mean by saying veg?"
I said, " that it mustn't contain any traces of garlic or onion".Kaka replied, " no dear!! this chops contain garlic". I returned but was awestruck. I personally do not prefer this habit of my parents and my question was just for its sake [ie just for questioning purpose], but the honesty of that poor man made me bow in front of him.

No comments: